Monday, August 8, 2011

Flash running slow in Google Chrome

NOTE: This does not completely fix Chrome's slow flash performance issue.  I have however noticed an performance improvement and have not noticed any flash slowdowns in Firefox when flash in running in both browsers side by side.  I think the main issue is just that Firefox runs flash better and Chrome doesn't and Google needs to fix that.  If anyone else knows how to make flash perform better on Chrome please leave a comment.


So I have noticed that flash games have been running slow in Chrome.  So I did some research and found that a lot of other people have been having this problem too.  I noticed that it usually happened worse when I had flash games running in Chrome and Firefox at the same time.  Flash would go slow in Firefox too but not as bad.  By slow I mean it would be fast for awhile and then start getting slower and slower until I finally had to restart the game to get it to run smooth again.  Slow, as in sluggish not as in it takes the game a long time to load.  That is just slow internet speeds.

So I think the problem is that Firefox and Chrome are both using the same flash plugin.  The one you downloaded for Firefox to use.  And I think the problem when Chrome is just running by it's self is that it is not using its integrated flash plugin.  To get Chrome to use its own flash plugin (the one Google integrated with it) do this:

  1. In Chrome go to about:plugins (type it in the address bar and hit enter)
  2. Look in the plugin list for Flash.  It should say "(2 files)" next to it.
  3. Once you find it (it's at the very top for me) go to the top-right corner of the page and click "Details"
  4. Now it should show two shockwave flash plugins.  Disable the one with the location: "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32.dll"
Now this if for Windows 7.  On different versions of Windows, Mac and Linux (I have not had this problem on Linux) the location will be different.  So just disable the one that does not have the word "chrome" somewhere in its location.
Here is an example:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\13.0.782.107\gcswf32.dll
Disable the other one ;).

Note: I am running Google Chrome 13 and the latest version of Flash.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice, chrome loading websites with flash had been getting unbearably slow, even like weather.com would stall for ~10 seconds on load. This made it nearly instant, chrome developers really should get something in there to detect this because I've seen this on a lot of computers recently and it's really made my opinion of chrome go WAY down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still does nothing for me. Terribly slow webloading. I'm going back to Firefox. I wish I still had Win XP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to disable the other one:
    C:\Users\cappac\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\18.0.1025.162\gcswf32.dll

    ReplyDelete